Top 7 Best Treadmill Mats for Reducing Noise(That Actually Works)
- 1 Top 7 Best Treadmill Mats for Reducing Noise:
- 2 Top 7 Best Treadmill Mats for Reducing Noise Comparison:
- 3 Rubber-Cal Treadmill Mat
- 4 Rev Time Treadmill Mat
- 5 SuperMats High-Density Commercial Mat for Carpet
- 6 ProsourceFit Puzzle Exercise Mat
- 7 Stamina Fold to Fit Folding Equipment Mat
- 8 Goplus Treadmill Mat for Harwood Floors
- 9 AmazonBasics High Density Exercise Treadmill Mat
- 10 How to Buy a Best Treadmill Mat?
- 11 Different Types of Mats:
- 12 Size of The Mat:
- 13 Water Resistance:
- 14 Slip-Resistant:
- 15 Materials:
- 16 Odor:
- 17 Benefits of Using a Treadmill Mat:
- 18 Shock Absorber:
- 19 Noise Diffuse:
- 20 Floor Protector:
- 21 Increase the Lifespan:
- 22 How to Reduce Treadmill Noise in an Apartment?
- 23 Using a Treadmill Mat:
- 24 Lubricating the Treadmill Belt:
- 25 Replacing Worn Out Bearings:
- 26 Wear the Right Shoes:
- 27 Final Words:
Do you know what is the very first thing you should do right after buying a treadmill? Getting your hands on one of the best treadmill mats for reducing noise. You are going to need it badly, especially if you have a plan for setting the treadmill in your apartment.
Once you start running on the treadmill, it will make an irritating loud noise which can irritate other people around you and without out the noise, there are some other problems too that a treadmill mat can eliminate.
In this very article I have put together a list of top 7 treadmill mats which has proven themselves to be very worthy and also have welded one more information and that is, how to reduce treadmill noise in an apartment.
This is going be a long article, so without wasting a single second, let’s get to the real thing.
Top 7 Best Treadmill Mats for Reducing Noise:
There are a lot of treadmill mats available in the market which might give you a hard time choosing one among hundreds of choices. And in order to make choosing one easy for you, I have picked 7 treadmill mats that have gained a lot of popularity for their quality.
Top 7 Best Treadmill Mats for Reducing Noise Comparison:
Rubber-Cal Treadmill Mat
48'' x 7.5 feet
RevTime Treadmill Mat
SuperMats Treadmill Mat For Carpet
3-Feet x 8.5-Feet
ProsourceFit Puzzle Exercise Mat
Stamina Fold to Fit Folding Equipment Mat
Goplus Treadmill Mats for Harwood Floor
AmazonBasics High Density Exercise Treadmill Mat
Top 7 best treadmill mats review
Rubber-Cal Treadmill Mat
- Treadmill mat is available in two sizes 48-inch x 6.5 feet and 48'' x 7.5 feet
- We think this exercise equipment mat is so durable it may outlast your treadmill
- 100-Percent recycled rubber mat that is durable and can withstand abrasive environments
- Absorbs vibration to protect fitness equipment and home floors from damage and scratches
- Protective floor mat that reduces noise and provides shock absorption, impact protection, and anti-slip
As the name suggests the Rubber-Cal Treadmill Mat is completely made of rubber and that is why it is highly durable.
Since it is made of rubber, it is complete slip-resistant means your treadmill or any exercise machine on it won’t move easily.
Rubber is a great material for shock absorbing and this mat will save both your treadmill and your floor from damage. This Rubber-Cal Treadmill Mat is highly durable, it might outlast your treadmill.
It comes in two different sizes one is 7.5 feet long, and 48 inches wide and another one has the same wide but 6.5 feet long. If you need a longer one then pick the 7.5 feet long one, another perk of picking a large mat is you will be able to do other aerobic exercises too.
Rev Time Treadmill Mat
- Large size with 6.5'x3' (78"x36"),The mat is suitable most treadmill machines or other fitness equipment, like rowing machine, stationary bike .
- Made of heavy duty SBR and EPDM rubber, real rubber, very durable than foamed mat.
- High density and anti-slip surface,heavily weighted up to 13.5lbs,Non-movable,3mm of thickness offer enough buffering and protection.
- Absorbs vibration to protect fitness equipment and home floors from damage and scratches,suit for carpet,hardwood floor,etc.
- Protective floor mat that reduces noise and provides shock absorption, impact protection, and anti-slip.Other sizes are available 6'x8', 6'x6', 6'x4'....
The Rev Time treadmill mat is another top-rated treadmill mat that suit most of the exercise machines. Whether treadmill, rowing machine or exercise bike, this Rev Time mat will suit perfectly underneath all these.
The way the manufacturer has designed it, it will definitely suit any modern house floor. This treadmill mat does a great job in shock absorbing. The manufacturer has used top-notch SBR and EPDM rubber which is known as real rubber.
You don’t have to worry about the durability of this mat, the material used in this mat is highly durable, they are better than foam mats. This mat has a slip-resistant surface which will prevent the machine from moving even a little bit when you are exercising on it.
This very treadmill mat is 3m thick which will effortlessly absorb the vibration of the machine and will reduce the noise. And also will save your floor from getting damaged. The Rev Time treadmill mat comes in three different sizes, choose the larger one.
SuperMats High-Density Commercial Mat for Carpet
- PROTECTIVE FLOOR MAT: Super-tough, durable mat helps protect your floors and carpets from the damaging effects of heavy exercise equipment and debris from...
- COMMERCIAL GRADE SOLID CONSTRUCTION - Mat is solid vinyl composite material, features extremely heavy duty durable construction - Mat weighs 25 lbs.
- CUSHIONS EXERCISE EQUIPMENT FROM EXCESSIVE WEAR: Prolongs the life of your equipment by helping prevent floor and carpet dust from entering belts and...
- FITS MULTIPLE EXERCISE UNITS: The Supermats Treadmat is perfect for larger treadmills, ellipticals, recumbent bikes, and cross-country trainers - Mat...
- MADE IN U.S.A.: Made in U.S.A. using U.S.A. sourced raw materials. No harmful chemicals or heavy metals. Safe for children and pets
The SuperMats High-Density Commercial Grade Solid Equipment Mat is one of the best soundproofing mats for treadmills.
It is completely made in the United States and doesn’t consist of any kind of metal or harmful chemicals, so you can use it with no worries.
It is ¼ inch thick which is enough to save your floor being damaged and absorbing the shock produces from your running impacts. This mat is perfect for most kind of floorings such as carpet, hardwood or tile.
The manufacturer has used all the heavy-duty materials in order to make it highly durable and it registered its name on the list of durable treadmill mats. Like a few cheap models, this mat doesn’t stink and will allow you to use it in both indoor and outdoor.
The SuperMats High Density Commercial Grade Solid Equipment Mat comes in a large size that allows you to do your aerobic exercise too besides your Large Treadmills, including Elliptical Machine, Rowing Machine, Recumbent Bike and Exercise Equipment. Overall, from design to performance, this mat got everything.
ProsourceFit Puzzle Exercise Mat
- PROTECTIVE WORKOUT FLOORING - Durable, non-skid textured tiles protect floors while creating a comfortable workout space
- EASY ASSEMBLY – Lightweight puzzle pieces connect quickly and easily, and can be disassembled just as simply for quick storage
- VERSATILE – The water-resistant and noise-reducing design is easy-to-clean, great for use in garages, gyms, home fitness rooms, or even children’s play...
- COVERS 24 SQ. FT. - Each tile measures 24” x 24” x ½”- thick from the highest point of the texture; Includes 6 tiles and 12 end borders for a...
- HIGH QUALITY FOAM - High-density EVA foam provides excellent support and cushion; Contains NO toxic phthalates
Here comes the ProsourceFit Puzzle Exercise Mat, a versatile mat which can be used for a lot of things.
This mat is completely different from other models of this review and that is because this mat comes in small pieces which need to be interlocked.
But before anything I want to clear out that, this mat is not slip-resistant, it can move slightly when you will exercise on the machine. And this mat is not suitable for carpet floors. Plus, rolling or folding this mat is also a daunting task.
If you are okay with the above flaws of this mat, then you are good to go with this mat. It works absolutely great in shock absorbing and noise reduction. This mat is 0.75-inch-thick, I know that not so thick but still does a decent job.
They come in different colors which will allow you to choose a color that matches the room colors where your treadmill is. You can also do other exercises such as weight lifting, pushups, high-jumps, etc. on this mat.
Stamina Fold to Fit Folding Equipment Mat
- Place under equipment to protect carpet and floors
- Textured, non-slip pebble surface is easily cleaned
- Size: 3' wide x 7' long;Use with most exercise equipment like stationary bikes, rowers, treadmills, inversion tables, Pilates reformers, ellipticals,...
- Divided into seven 12" folds
- 1/4" thick closed cell foam material ; Weight: approximately 7 lbs
The Stamina fold to fit treadmill mat is one of the top-rated foam mats and also has hundreds of positive user feedback.
As you can see the name, this mat design will allow you to fold the open space of the mat easily, no cutting required.
It is not the largest mat but it is pretty large. Plus, the easy folding design makes it very easy to store the mat and since it is a foam mat, it is extremely lightweight which make it easier for you to carry it to outdoors.
You will be able to use this mat in both indoor and outdoor, just make sure you keep it away from water. The foam will soak water and will get heavy, plus will keep releasing water when under pressure.
This foam mat is very soft but still works well in absorbing shock and reducing noise. It also can be used in most kind of floors such as concrete, tiles, hardwood, carpet, etc. Another best part of this mat is, it comes at a cheap price.
Goplus Treadmill Mat for Harwood Floors
- 【Shock Absorption】This treadmill mat reduces the equipment shake and prevents friction between the equipment and the floor. The floor scratches and...
- 【Protect Exercise Equipment From Excessive Wear】Using this exercise mat, prolongs the life of your equipment by preventing floor and carpet dust from...
- 【Reduce Vibrations】Reduce vibration and noise caused by wear between floor and equipment, so family members and neighbors are not disturbed. Besides,...
- 【Fits Indoor Exercise Equipment】This equipment mat is ideal for supporting personal fitness equipment，such as stationary exercise bikes, steppers,...
- 【Water and Non-slip Resistance】The mat is smooth on the one surface and non-slip on the other side. The water-resistant material makes these mats super...
The Goplus treadmill mat is made of PVC material and a popular model among PVC treadmill mats.
One side of this mat is slip-resistant and another part is smooth. Make sure you put the slip-resistant part of the mat on the floor so that the machine doesn’t move.
You will be able to clean this mat easily with a damp cloth, this mat is completely water resistant. And also does a fantastic job of saving the floor from getting damaged by the vibration of the machine.
The Goplus treadmill is not that thicker which is why this mat is not that effective in absorbing shock and reducing noise.
AmazonBasics High Density Exercise Treadmill Mat
- 3-by-8.5-foot mat made of high-density PVC; ideal for placing under a home-gym rowing machine or an exercise bike
- Helps protect floors and carpets from the impact of heavy equipment
- Creates a clean, optimal workout space
- Also works well for step-aerobics or as a general aerobic mat; sleek black color for easy coordinating
- Measures 102 by 36 by 0.2 inches (LxWxH); weighs 7 pounds; backed by an AmazonBasics 1-year limited warranty
Here comes the last mat of this review and that is AmazonBasics High Density Exercise Treadmill Mat.
Before anything let me tell you, this mat is not very durable, you got to be very careful using this.
It is also made of PVC material and completely water-resistant. It is also slip-resistant and you will be able to clean it up with a damp cloth very easily.
This mat is suitable for any kind of floor whether it is a hardwood floor or carpet floor. Since PVC mats are thinner, they don’t do a good job in shock absorbing and noise reducing.
How to Buy a Best Treadmill Mat?
In order to get your hands on the right treadmill mat, there are few factors that you have to take into account right before you purchase a treadmill mat. Described below,
Different Types of Mats:
Treadmill mats come in different types suited for different types of floors. Some are good for hardwood floor and some are good for protecting the base carpet. However, I have demonstrated all types, have a look
Hardwood Floor Mats:
All mats on the market are not for hardwood floors, picking up the wrong mat will damage the hardwood floor not immediately but it will definitely. You will see a sticky film on the floor and mat.
It happens because with pressure plasticizer leaches out and that is what does all the damage to the hardwood floor.
On the other hand, some hardwood floors are coated with slippery things and for that kind of floors, you are going to need extremely slip-resistant mats. Otherwise, the entire treadmill will move easily.
Carpet Protecting Floor Mats:
Treadmill base can easily damage the carpet badly and in order to protect that, you will need a suitable mat. Most treadmill mats are suitable for this but I would suggest using rubber mats for carpet protection.
Tile Floor Protecting Floor Mat:
Low-quality thinner treadmill mats will leave mark on the floor and in the worst situation it might even break the tile. In order to protect this type of floors you need something thicker and non-skid (slip-resistant) textured high-quality mat
Size of The Mat:
This is the most important factor that you should consider right before you make a purchase plan. Before you buy a treadmill mat make sure you measure the length and width of your treadmill machine so that you can buy the perfect one.
Picking a small one that doesn’t fit your treadmill is similar to buying no mat for the treadmill. If possible try to pick large one than the treadmill size, that will allow you to do your aerobic exercise beside the machine.
The wise decision would be to choose a mat that is constructed with waterproof material, it will keep the floor dry and also will be in good condition for a longer period of time.
Another reason of doing this is, you will be dropping a lot of sweat during the exercise session so it is highly important that he doesn’t reach to the ground, otherwise It will produce irritating odor with time.
Not only treadmill but every exercise machine also vibrates a bit when you exercise on it, the vibration is very minimal which is why most don’t notice it. However, in a treadmill when you run, the continuous pressure on the machine causes it to vibrate and that damages the floor, especially if you have a carpet or tile floor.
And treadmill mat will get you out of this problem but make sure you choose a slip-resistant mat that would not move with the machine.
Mainly there are three materials which are widely used in the construction of treadmill mat and the materials are foam, rubber, and PVC. Among these three materials rubber is the most popular mat material since it is both waterproof and slip-resistant.
Rubber mats are also highly durable and flexible. The foam treadmill mats are very soft and flexible but not as durable as rubber mats. And lastly, PVC mats are thick as rubber mat and also very sturdy but not flexible.
You would not appreciate something in your house that spreads bad odor and buying a cheap treadmill mat will do exactly that. They are made of cheap quality materials which spread the odor.
Picking up a mat of that quality won’t let you exercise comfortably and neither will let your family members be comfortable at home. And if you have already picked one, then there is nothing natural you can do about it except keep your doors and windows open.
Benefits of Using a Treadmill Mat:
Except for noise reduction, there are also several benefits of using a treadmill mat in both the gym and home. Here are the benefits,
Heavy exercise equipment like treadmills can damage the floor when you create impact by running on it. You are continuously putting your entire body pressure on it and this can badly damage the floor.
That is why experts suggest putting a mat under every heavy exercise equipment, the thick mat will absorb the shock the machine creates and will save your floor from getting damaged.
Treadmill mats are greatly used only for reducing noise because nothing works better than this. But how do mats actually reduce the noise?
Very simple. We know that vibrations create sound and mats disperse the vibration which eliminates the noise. And your neighbor sleeping under your floor won’t get disturbed by your exercise.
I am not sure if you have noticed it or not, running on treadmill moves the machine a bit which is almost non-noticeable. However, this little shake can stain your floor, especially if you have a tile floor.
Plus, if you have carpet in your floor, a treadmill can easily tear it off, causing you to spend more bucks to get a new one.
All these problems would be solved just by putting a thick mat underneath your treadmill and make sure the mat is slip-resistant.
Increase the Lifespan:
Buying a treadmill is not a matter of few bucks, it takes a large chunk of money, it might not be an issue for you if you are a billionaire. However, keeping a large mat under the treadmill will prevent carpet dirt, debris or anything entering in the belt or any mechanical part.
If anyhow any dirt gets accumulated inside the treadmill, you are going to lose some bucks maintaining that because you are going to need a professional for that.
How to Reduce Treadmill Noise in an Apartment?
Using a treadmill in an apartment could be really hard since it creates a lot of noise. Doesn’t matter how quiet treadmill you bring home, once you will start running on it, it makes impact noise and the faster you will run the more sound it will make.
With the impact, the motor starts to make a loud noise and the belt creates a squeaky sound which is very irritating.
However, I have come up with some ways through which you can mute your treadmill even when you are exercising on it but before that, I want to tell you why treadmill squeaks.
Here you go,
One main reason your treadmill is making squeaky noise is because of its belt. A too tight or loose belt will make noise that’s obvious, so make sure the belt it set tight properly and another reason is lubrication.
Do you remember? When for the last time you have lubricated your belt? You should keep your treadmill belt well-lubricated every time, you are going to find what you should use a lubricate in the later section.
And the last reason is, bearing. After doing both above things, if your treadmill still squeaks then it is probably because of the bearing, you might need to get new bearings installed in your treadmill.
Below I have listed some tricks and techniques that would help you to make your treadmill mute, have a look.
Using a Treadmill Mat:
Except for the belt and the treadmill motor, your running impacts are what makes the loud noise and one of the best ways to reduce that is putting something soft under the treadmill that will absorb the shocks.
And what could be better than a treadmill mat?
Mats are soft and made with dense material which absorbs the shock creates from your running impacts.
Treadmill mats will give you stability too since rubber mats are slip-resistant and waterproof.
Lubricating the Treadmill Belt:
If you have a treadmill in the home you should get used to it, otherwise, your machine would require heavy maintenance after a while. Lubricating the belt is an easy and simple job and that is probably why people tend to forget this often.
There are some latest treadmills that would notify you when they require lubricant but not all treadmill will do the same, so it would be wise if you remember it.
Lubricating the belt will keep it smooth which won’t harm other parts of the treadmill.
Replacing Worn Out Bearings:
Have you tried both? Putting a mat underneath the treadmill and lubricating the treadmill but still, you hear squeaky noise? Then you might want to reach the bearing and roller of the treadmill.
Bearings are attached to the roller of the treadmill and if you see they have worn out then you should immediately change them, otherwise along with irritating noise worn out bearings are going to damage the motor also.
And same goes for the roller if that is worn out too change it, otherwise, the entire treadmill won’t be able to function smoothly.
Wear the Right Shoes:
Running with shoes that hard sole will definitely make a loud noise, so changing your exercise shoe is also a way of getting rid of irritating noise.
Instead of focusing on the look, focus on the quality of the shoe. Pick a pair that comes with a soft sole, and would be better if that has shock absorbing gel sole, it will absorb the noise. I use Balance Men's Fresh Foam Running Shoe, Which gives me full of comfort and nice workout everyday.
To Learn More, Click Here.
Time to wrap up this article, these are the best treadmill mats for reducing noise. Hope by now you have got your hands on the right treadmill mat for you.
Last update on 2020-02-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API