How Many Calories Burned On Elliptical In 30 Minutes? Should Know It
Are you looking for a way to get fit or lose weight? If yes, then you better opt for an effective means of burning calories in your body. One of the most effective ways of burning calories is through elliptical machines workouts. The elliptical machine’s exercise is an effective form of cardiovascular exercise that suits all the fitness levels and ages. So, whether you are fit or nursing injury, young or old, this machine is still a proficient tool that will serve your needs to the best. But the main question here is ‘how many calories burned on elliptical in 30 minutes?’
Therefore, to identify this, there are a set of factors that comes in play, such as:
- Your weight.
- Exercise intensity.
But before I head into answering your question, it is essential to note that metabolism dictates amount of calories burned in your body and that metabolism is composed of:
- Basal metabolic rate (BMR) – which is the minimum number of calories that are needed daily by the body.
- Resting metabolic rate (RMR) – BMR plus energy used by the body when at rest.
- Thermogenesis – Energy for digestive processes which is almost 10% of your entire metabolism.
- Physical activity – Activities that boost your metabolic rate.
How many calories burned on elliptical in 30 minutes? –Weight
As stated up there that there are a set of factors that will help you determine how many calories you have burned in a 30-minute elliptical workout. The leading factor is weight. And according to a study published in Harvard health, it clearly shows how many calories burned after a 30 minutes of general exercise using the elliptical trainer. So, with weight as a reference factor in this case, the table below answers your question -how many calories does elliptical burn?
Weight Per Person (Pound)
Calories Burned Through
125 to 150 pound
155 to 180 pound
185 to 200 pound
The above figures represent approximate values, but you should always keep in mind that people are different. Thus there is a slight difference in the rate of calorie burning per person. The most accurate way that you can use to define calories burned is to use a hate rate monitor. However, you can use the elliptical calculator if you don’t have a heart rate monitor. The calculator uses average metabolic rate per intensity to determine burned calories.
- Goal Track capability enables users to set individual exercise goals
- 22 preset workout programs: 9 profile, 8 heart rate control, 2 fitness test, 1 quick start
- High speed, high inertia drive system for easy start up and smooth, quiet workouts
- DualTrack 2 LCD screen displays offer increased visibility to programs and goal tracking
- 20 levels of resistance for a wide range of workout intensity options ;MP3 input so you can listen to your favorite playlist through the in console...
Calories burned elliptical 30 minutes exercise –Intensity
The level of intensity in the elliptical workout plays a significant role in defining how many calories you will have burned by the end of specific workout intensity. With elliptical, you can either choose to have a low, medium, or high-intensity workout. A more intense pace workout means you will burn more calories than in low or mid-pace intensity exercise.
Low-intensity Pace: Many people tend to hop onto the elliptical machine with a very low intensity just to check the exercise off the list. The truth is you are not helping yourself. If you are fit, you better do a standard workout, or you don’t do it at all. Most of us have around 30 to 60 minutes daily scheduled for exercise. Therefore, to effectively burn calories and boost your metabolism, you better have your body active throughout your workout –push yourself.
There are situations where you can utilize the low-intensity pace in your elliptical machine. This is when you are either having a heart condition or nursing an injury. So, what are the benefits of a low-intensity pace elliptical workout?
- It boosts your metabolism.
- Improves your blood lipid levels and insulin sensitivity.
- And finally, it allows you to keep fit without affecting your heart condition if you have heart medical issues.
High-intensity pace: This setting is for the fit and those of you who are ready to shed a significant amount of calories. A high-intensity workout is all about interval training which might be daunting to some of you. The principle behind it is quite simple; all you need is to keep alternating high-intensity short burst exercises with lighter workouts. For example, you can take a quick sprint for around 30-60 seconds then change to a slower pace for 2-3 minutes and redo this process several times.
Apart from weight and intensity, other factors may also play a smaller but essential part when it comes to calories burning are:
- Body consumption –If you have more muscles mass, then you may burn more calories than the person with less muscle mass.
- Duration –The longer your workout takes, the more calories you burn. Simple as that.
- Sex –Most men are heavier, and with more muscles mass than women, therefore, they are prone to expend more calories for the same workout.
- Upper-body work –The more you actively involve your upper body during a workout, the more calories you burn.
So before you hop into an elliptical machine, the first and most important thing that you should do is to input your body weight. Otherwise, the machine will use the default setting to calculate calories expended by a 150 –pound person.
Benefits of Elliptical Machines
The main advantage of using elliptical trainer is calories expenditure, but also you should know that there are other related benefits of using it. The benefits include:
- Total-body workout –Unlike other cardio machines, Elliptical helps you to work on your upper and lower body simultaneously. Thus higher calorie burning due to more muscle involvement.
- Flexibility –Elliptical machine is one of the most versatile machines. It allows you to pedal either backward or forwards, changing side strength or working solely on your upper or lower body.
- Low-impact –It is a smooth working machine that won’t stress your knees, ankles, hips, back, and heart.
- Variety of choices –For better overall fitness, the elliptical machine provides a variety of workout settings to choose from. It can be traditional elliptical standing, an Octane LateralX lateral elliptical, elliptical Octane xRide recumbent, or newest Octane’s XT-One cross-trainer.
Thus you can utilize elliptical machine calories burned for inclusive conditioning and enjoy these all benefits within 30 minutes.
How to maximize calories burned on elliptical in 30 minutes
Do you want to maximize calorie expenditure with a 30-minutes elliptical workout? If yes, then try these simple techniques:
- Try new challenges. Stop your regular boring routine and open a new chapter by trying new workouts that suit your physical condition. The elliptical premium machine has a lot of interval, steady-state, and heart rate friendly exercises. The main goal here is to ensure that you experience different stride length, resistance, and a more interactive pace.
- Motion change. Changing motion can increase resistance level, thus increasing calories expenditures. You can do this by trying to go on a reverse motion while increasing pace, push your legs hard, or vary your stride length while on a workout.
- Challenge yourself. The way to keep up with this is by pushing yourself. With Octane elliptical, you can use its advanced program 30:30 Interval and MMA to challenge yourself. This will help you increase resistance and pace management intervals.
- Utilize workout boosters. Workout boosters such as GluteKicker, X-Mode, and ArmBlaster are specifically designed to be your virtual trainers. They help provide interval training sessions by dictating short bursts of several exercises. These boosters are exclusively available on Octane Fitness elliptical machines.
- Embrace the CROSS CiRCUIT. Expend more calories with a 30-minutes utilizing CROSS CiRCUIT workout program in Octane elliptical machines. When it comes to burning calories interval exercise exceeds steady-state cardio exercise. So, it is better to combine cardio and strength intervals for better overall training.
All these techniques are designed to provide you with diversity, motivation, and dynamic intervals which leads to better results.
Now you know how many calories are burned on elliptical in 30 minutes. Since you are well informed, you can now easily pick between an elliptical trainer and another exercise equipment such as exercise bike or treadmill. Keep in mind that there are a variety of factors that will determine calories expenditure regardless of the type of machine used. Otherwise, keep yourself in super healthy condition by using utilizing elliptical trainer. Good luck!
Last update on 2020-02-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API